In the past the Autonomous Community of Cantabria had two centres that taught courses in the Provincial School of Arts and Crafts in Santander (founded in 1877), the School of Arts and Crafts in Torrelavega (1892) names that remained until the change of rules and regulations in 1963. The two schools disappeared but not only had it trained renowned artists of our community in all fields, but also also workers in companies in our region as in Solvay.
Until the experimental school of Arts at IES Santa Clara was created in 1993, our community did not have any teaching in the field of the Fine Arts, being one of the first three centres nationwide lecturing this type of discipline after the efforts of one of his teachers: D. Roberto Orallo. After several years making the administration see the need to have a public centre offering this kind of teachings, there was a demand generated mainly by the four centres offering this type of school. In 2007 the Ministry granted aid to the municipality of Reocín to adapt a school in disuse, the Colegio San Juan Sitges, located in Puente San Miguel, and and after the renovation of the building in September 2008, the course began with the offer of two training courses in the field of Jewellery, both Middle and Higher levels.
Therefore is Mr. Roberto Orallo, who took over the school management in the recovery of Plastic Arts in the Autonomous Community as it did in its day D. Herminio Alcalde del Río with the direction of the School of Arts and Crafts in Torrelavega between 1892 and 1947.
In the academic year 2010-2011 the Illustration course is implemented, allowing a diversification of supply and to partially cover the high demand from other schools.